Can 1 hour a week change a life?
The School-Based program enables Big Brothers Big Sisters of Acadiana to reach out to more
children and to utilize volunteers that find it easier to give their time during the work day.
This program matches children ages 6-18 with volunteers who spend once a week with the same child for the duration of the school year.
The children have requested to participate in the program or their teachers feel they can benefit from additional one-on-one attention from a mentor. Matches meet at the child’s school at a designated time and place for one hour once a week.
Bigs & Littles will enjoy activities like
Reading books or studying together
Hanging out on the playground or in the school's gym
Walking the school track & talking
Arts & Crafts
Play Board Games
Utilize the school's library or computer lab
And so much more!
Carencro Heights Elementary
J.W. Faulk Elementary
Natchitoches Parish: Coming Soon!
School Based Program Requirements
(1) Attend one of the participating schools listed.
(2) Must be at least six years of age.
(3) Must have a completed application and permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian.
(4) Must agree to have contact with a Big Brothers Big Sisters employee on a monthly basis for the life of the mentoring relationship.
(5) Make a minimum of a 12-month commitment.
(1) Volunteers must be able to meet the child at their school for at least one hour a week during the school year.
(2)Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
(3) Submit an application, complete an interview with agency staff, and complete the screening process (layered criminal history record check, fingerprinting, and two positive references). Volunteers must complete pre-match training and child safety/youth protection training.
(4) Make a minimum of a 12-month commitment.
(5) Must have reliable transportation to get to their school every week.
(6) Must agree to have contact with a Big Brothers Big Sisters employee on a monthly basis for the life of the mentoring relationship.