Club Based Mentoring
Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Boys & Girls Clubs have partnered to provide one-to-one mentoring to youth on-site at one of the Clubs.
The Club-based mentoring program is one way that mentors can help shape the future of youth in Acadiana. The Club-based program allows adult volunteer mentors (Bigs) and LIttles to build a supportive relationship in a space where young people spend much of their free time, share interests and hobbies, develop goals and have fun! The best part is the volunteer can choose what day and what time they can meet with their mentee and only need to spend about an hour a week with them!
The Club-based program takes place at the Granberry Unit (121 S. Washington St.) once a week between 4:00 - 6:00 PM. Bigs will meet their Little for an hour during the time frame. The Boys and Girls Club offers fun activities that they can do together, such as shoot hoops, utilize the computer lab, or simply hang out and play a board game.
POWERED BY THE WILLIAM C. SCHUMACHER FAMILY FOUNDATION
Club Based Program Requirements
(1) Youth must be enrolled at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Acadiana and available to meet during the specified time period every week.
(2) Must be at least six years of age.
(3) Must have a completed application and permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian.
(4) Make a minimum of a 12-month commitment.
(5) Must agree to have contact with a Big Brothers Big Sisters employee on a monthly basis for the life of his or her match.
(1) Volunteer must be able to meet at the specified club once a week during the specified times.
(2) Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
(3) Complete online orientation, submit an application, complete a virtual interview with agency staff, complete online training and complete the screening process (layered criminal history record check, fingerprinting and two positive references)
(4) Must have reliable transportation to get to the club every week.
(5) Make a minimum of a 12-month commitment.
(6) Must agree to have contact with a Big Brothers Big Sisters employee on a monthly basis for the life of his or her match.